January 10, 2019
Dear Wildcat Families,
Happy New Year! I hope you all enjoyed a safe and peaceful winter break. We are excited to be BACK to school with your children. Please read this letter for an important school update.
Talented Wildcats- The Variety Show Tryouts are coming up! Tryouts will be Thursday February 21st from 8:30am-1:00pm. The Variety Show will be on Friday March 1st (Times TBA). Applications will be in the office on February 1st. There is a 2 minute time limit. Students must have all music (age appropriate), costumes, and props for tryouts. In the meantime, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
CA School Dashboard: There is a new place to explore the performance of Washington Elementary (and all CA schools) under California’s accountability system. You can view charts, graphs and statistics for our school in the areas of: Chronic Absenteeism, English Learner Progress, Suspension Rates, and ELA/Math Academic Progress. Click here to review our report. The color reflects changes over time (year to year). Blue is the best and green is good. All schools want to maintain or increase each year and stay blue or green. If a school has even a slight decrease the color may change to orange or yellow. You can click on “view more details” for each area. Principals, along with Site Councils, use the information from the Dashboard to update the School Plan for Student Achievement and set goals for the next school year.
Let’s rock 2019!
- Friday, January 11
- 9:00am 2019-20 Kinder School Tour w/ Mrs. G
- 1:00pm Geography Bee in Auditorium
- Monday, January 14
- Weather permitting: 8:30am ALL SCHOOL Morning Meeting on the playground. All parents are invited and encouraged to attend. TOGETHER we will say the Pledge, make announcements, give PRIDE reminders, pull Cool Cat tickets and build community! If it is raining we will reschedule.
- Tuesday, January 15
- Wednesday, January 16
- 8:40am School-wide January Emergency Drill - Lockdown
- 9-11am GATE tours at Washington. Visitors check in at front office.
- 5:30-7:30 PARENT SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP (PSP) PROGRAM (Washington & Monroe) at at SB Unified District Office
- Thursday, January 17
- 8:45-10:30 Mrs. G, Rosa, and ELAC Board at District Office Training
- 9-11am 6th Grade Symphony Field trip
- Friday, January 18
- Interdistrict Transfer Window closes January 18th
- Enjoy the 3-day weekend!
Monday, January 21- No School. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- Tuesday, January 22
- 8:45 K-3rd Michael Katz Assemblies in Auditorium
- 10:45 4th-6th Michael Katz Assemblies in Auditorium
- 1:40pm 3rd Grade continues with Michael Katz in Auditorium
- 6:15pm Safety Presentation followed by PTO meeting in Library - Please join Mrs. Giguiere, Safety Coordinator Mr. Moore, and teachers Ms. Blue and Ms. Chin for an update on Standard Response Protocols. Please arrive by 6:15 for the safety presentation. PTO meeting will begin at 6:45pm. See you there!
- Wednesday, January 23
- 5:30-7:30 PARENT SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP (PSP) PROGRAM (Washington & Monroe) at SB Unified District Office (flyer attached)
- Thursday, January 24
- CIMI Chaperone Meeting, 6:30 at Washington Library
- Friday, January 25
- 1:00 6th Grade Alan Rose presentation in Auditorium
Important Future Dates:
- 1/28 - 2/22 Kindergarten on modified dismissal schedule (12:00 dismissal)
- 1/31 ELAC Meeting - 6:00pm in Library
- 2/6 - 2/8: 5th grade to CIMI
- 2/11 Cafecito #3
- 2/15 & 2/18 NO SCHOOL (4 day weekend)
- 2/21 Variety Show tryouts - start practicing now!!
- 2/22 Father Daughter Dance
- 3/1 Variety show Performance
We are the Wildcats. We have P.R.I.D.E.! The New Year is a great time to do reteaching in all areas of campus. Please review PRIDE expectations at home.
- Positive Attitude
- Smile and say hello, please and thank you to students, staff and parents on campus.
- Respect & Responsibility
- Hush in the hallways
- Put playground equipment away at the bell
- No running, yelling or playing around the lunch table and grass area - RESPECT the learning of nearby 2nd grade classrooms!
- Admit when you make a mistake. Apologize if you hurt someone’s feelings.
- Work hard!
- Commit a random act of kindness to ring in the New Year.